Thursday, December 24, 2009

Tomorrow's Christmas? For really reals?


My biological holiday clock is thrown off (that's right, I have a biological holiday clock. Jealous much?).

Tomorrow is Christmas, yet it doesn't feel like tomorrow is Christmas to me. Not one bit.

For me, the season leading up to Christmas has a certain progression. It all begins with Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving kicks off the Christmas season, with a feast held with my family, the day before Thanksgiving. Then, my sister and mother leave for a soccer tournament, so my dad and I feed off leftovers for the rest of the holiday weekend. There is much hanging out with Colorado friends and rejoicing. The Spike TV Bond marathon flashes across my screen as leftover turkey fills my gut. That is how the season starts.

The true face of Christmas. Forget Santa.


Because I was not allowed a trip home due to glorious retail work (trust me, I do prefer having a job to the alternative), for the first time in my insignificant life, there was no start to the season. Compounding this, Spike TV did not air a James Bond marathon. Bastards! It was instead aired on SyFy, but it's not the same! Spike always did it all weekend, SyFy (God, this is a horrible name for a network) did not. If not going home didn't fuck up my biological holiday clock, then the lack of a true James Bond marathon sure as hell did the job.

Roger Moore on SyFy is not the same...


So, without a kick off, the Holiday season never started for me. Growing up, the season always meant just that, actual seasons. Though Colorado does not consistently produce snow in the winter as out-of-staters believe, winter does mean coldness and that wintery smell to the air. Living in California these past four winters, this aspect of the holiday season has been lost. But at least, in past years I was there for winter at Thanksgiving, my body getting a feel for the season. Not the case this year, as I have not been to the ole' CO since August. As far as my body knows, Winter still hasn't started. Its still sunny and mild every day. Southern California really is (seasonless) hell on Earth.

So, no kick off, no Bond marathon, and no seasons. Compound that further with no Christmas commercials (thank God!). For the first time in my life I have DVR, so goodbye commercials. But, as hated as they are, they are a crucial part of my holiday season.

The third wise man.


The final build up to Christmas involves a week or so off. This year, Christmas week is among the busiest of the year (KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAN! Er... I mean...REEEEETAAAAAIL!). I even worked today, Christmas Eve. And there's still no sign of a Christmas Bond marathon (Spike TV's Thanksgiving Bond marathan was only matched by their 007 Days of Christmas).

So, how can tomorrow be Christmas? My body hasn't encountered any of the signs. I tried force feeding it Bond Blurays, but it just isn't working!

So, I'm not going to wish you Merry Christmas, because I don't want you to have a Merry Christmas! If I can't have my Christmas, why should you! Bahumbug!Be seeing you.

No comments: