Saturday, February 6, 2010

Boldly Going Nowhere... Windows 7

I'm afraid this may be my last blog.

No, I have not lost the drive. Nor have I ran out of things to say (like that will ever happen. This is me we're talkin' 'bout.). But I am planning on installing Windows 7 on my computer tonight.
This is like my blog's suicide letter.

Only, it's not definite suicide. It's more like writing a suicide letter before playing a game of Russian Roulette (What the fuck is up with the Russians? Since when are they so bad-ass as to invent a game of Russian Roulette? That shit makes Football, Rugby, and Hockey look like professional wrestling [I was going to say ballet or NASCAR, but those "sports" weren't lame enough].).

Only, this isn't traditional Russian Roulette, where there is only one bullet in one chamber (Again, I'm not checking any "facts." And though I have played Russian Roulette countless times, I've never been the one to load the gun.). Seeing as how I am dealing with Microsoft, it's like a game of Russian Roulette with a gun only 1 bullet short.
This Windows 7 download may improve my computer. The far greater likelihood is that the download will transform my piece of shit computer from almost inoperable to FUBAR. That's internet nerd speak for Fucked Up Beyond All Recognition (formally military speak, but thanks to Halo, the nerds have claimed it.).

And yes, I have given Microsoft quite the thrashing. But, as far as my life experiences have gone, MACs are no better. Apple has spent a lot of money their marketing campaign, but it hasn't changed the fact that mankind has yet to invent a computer that works correctly.
 
(Apple is only good for 2 things. iPods and hiring awesome comedians for their commercials.)

The real reason we've fallen behind 20th century science fiction films' predictions for where we ought to be in the 21st century? Any extended space flight would surely end in the crew's death resulting from the error prone inboard computer. I'm not talking some HAL type malfunction that leads to the systematic execution of the crew. I'm talking about a system failure that deprives them of oxygen. A direct result of some cheap asshole at Microsoft or Apple.
 
(HAL is neither Mac nor PC.)

Just last week, my computer closed Firefox in the middle of my writing blog, for the third time that night. For the third time in a row, blogger was not saving properly and most the blog was lost. What followed was human error. Though I did see what unfolded before its unfolding, I could not keep myself from acting. In a blind rage, I punched my desk, causing my Mountain Dew to spill all over my desk. My computer was fine. But the loss of Dew was unacceptable. 

The point is, this may be my last blog. Because I may not be able to get on the internet tomorrow. Or turn on the computer for that matter. Or, maybe I was able to turn it on, but then I threw it out the window. Because human error is often unavoidable. Just like computer error.
Wish me luck.

No comments: